Real name: Joyce Wassmandorff
Birthdate: April 6, 1929
Partner: Stan Todd
Joi Lansing was a film and television actress (b. Joyce Wassmansdorff, Salt Lake City, Utah April 6, 1929 - d. Santa Monica, California August 7, 1972).
A buxom blonde model and actress, Lansing was often cast in roles similar to those played by her contemporaries, Jayne Mansfield and Mamie Van Doren. Joi appeared in skimpy costumes and bikinis; yet, no nudes exist. Her measurements were 39 - 23 - 35.
Her earliest work was modeling. Her film career began in 1948. Lansing had an MGM contract at the age of 14 and completed high school on the studio lot.
Lansing played Lola in Marriage on the Rocks (1965). The movie had an "A-list" cast, including Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Deborah Kerr. One of her last films was Bigfoot (1970).
On television she appeared on The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok, I Love Lucy, and The Beverly Hillbillies She has a recurring role in the latter.
She also had an appearance as the title character in "Superman's Wife," a 1958 episode of the "Adventures of Superman" TV series. One can only imagine dads and older brothers everywhere suddenly taking more interest in "AOS" for this one episode.
She named Ozzie Nelson as possessing the most sex appeal of any actor she worked with. The two played a love scene in a Fireside Theater drama. The show was hosted by Jane Wyman.
In May 1965 Lansing cut her first record album. It was composed of a collection of songs written especially for her by composer Jimmie Haskel and actress Stella Stevens.
After wearing a gown cut below the navel in a New York City club, she pledged to wear only high-necked gowns thereafter. Lansing performed in the Fiesta Room in Las Vegas, Nevada, in July 1966. Featured on the bill with her were Red Buttons and Jayne Mansfield.
Lansing practiced yoga for relaxation. A Mormon, she did not drink or smoke. Her nickname was Baby Face. Chicago Tribune columnist, Toni Remineh, was her press agent at one time.
Lansing died of breast cancer at St. John's Hospital, Santa Monica, California, on August 7, 1972, aged only 43. Two years earlier she had undergone surgery for the cancer.
- When a Girl's Beautiful (1947)
- Linda Be Good (1947)
- The Counterfeiters (1948)
- Easter Parade (1948)
- Julia Misbehaves (1948)
- Blondie's Secret (1948)
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949)
- Neptune's Daughter (1949)
- The Girl from Jones Beach (1949)
- In the Good Old Summertime (1949)
- On the Riviera (1951)
- Pier 23 (1951)
- FBI Girl (1951)
- Two Tickets to Broadway (1951)
- Singin' in the Rain (1952)
- The Merry Widow (1952)
- The French Line (1954)
- Son of Sinbad (1955)
- Finger Man (1955)
- Hot Cars (1956)
- Hot Shots (1956)
- The Brave One (1957)
- Touch of Evil (1958)
- Queen of Outer Space (1958)
- A Hole in the Head (1959)
- It Started with a Kiss (1959)
- But Not for Me (1959)
- The Atomic Submarine (1959)
- Who Was That Lady? (1960)
- Marriage on the Rocks (1965)
- Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967)
- Bigfoot (1970)
- Super Cue Men (1937)
- So You Want to Go to a Nightclub (1954)
- So You're Taking in a Roomer (1954)
- So You Want to Be on a Jury (1955)
- So You Want to Be a V.P. (1955)
- So You Want to Be a Policeman (1955)
- So You Think the Grass Is Greener (1956)