Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight ponytails and buns... and hair loss!

Default Tight ponytails and buns... and hair loss!

I was just looking up foods to eat for healthy hair, and came across something that says hair extensions can cause hair loss- PERMANENT bald patches that wont regrow no matter what. Not just hair extensions but also tight ponytails and buns. I live in my tight ponytails! Apparently this kind of pulling, tugging, and tightness on the hair ruins it- either thins out, falls out, and damages the follicle enough that it never re grows. I never knew that!

For about five years I wore my hair up in a pony and my hairdresser told me that too! I wear it down now.

I also heard it can give you headaches wearing it up tight, but I don't know if that is true?

Are you going to wear it down sometimes? It looks real pretty down in your pics

I wear ponytails, buns, and braids all the time. Not only to keep my hair out of the way, but to protect it from wind, sun, tangles, etc. Keeping them pulled too tight can really ruin the hairline though, not to mention break the rest of your hair.
    Plus it hurts like heck!!

I think eating eggs is supposed to be really good for the hair because of the biotin. Drink lots of water too.

^Yep, i fucked up my hairline slightly. Only on the right side where I really pull- so i can see why theres damage. There's little hairs growing there though so maybe i'm getting regrowth.

I'll definetly be wearing my hair out more now honey. But sometimes it can be a pain in the arse having hair in your face, especially here where its super windy.

I take my hair for granted, always twisting it up in buns and ponytails- i trust it to not break!

I def had damage from always wearing my hair up. I stopped highlighting my hair to make it less vulnerable to breakage.

I try to wear it in "looser" buns/tails.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    I def had damage from always wearing my hair up. I stopped highlighting my hair to make it less vulnerable to breakage.

I try to wear it in "looser" buns/tails.
    Yeah, I think that's the key. Use cloth rubber bands/scrunchies/pony tail holders with no metal. that little piece of metal that's on alot of rubberbands just rubs and breaks your hair!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

smf

^ thanks for info guys ,i wear my hair in tight ponytail all the time ,and i do have alot of hair fall out ,i have to pull it back when im at work ,but if i wear it in loose ponytail its really frizzy looking ,like i just rolled out of bed

Look for Nicole Kidman to go bald! Hers has got to hurt!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Yeah, 10 years in gymnastics gave me a receding hairline. I can hide it pretty well with bangs but if i pull my hair back to demonstrate, it's quite shocking.

Same problem here, daily ponytails at work are causing a little hairloss on the top of my head, just behind the hairline.
    And some pain too, to tell the truth. Do any of you feel a little pain too where the hair is pulled tighter?
    My hairdresser told me today to tie my hair looser

Elite Member

Definitely invest in some ouch-free ponytail holders

Also it will help to place the ponytail in different points on your head routinely. So one day at the top, next down a little, a low one the next. It reduces the trauma to one part of the hair. It may also help with your hair seeming thinner on the bottom (I think you posted about that in an earlier thread?) as the hair wont break at the same point every day.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

A lot of the time I just wear a long braid down the back and tie it off with these great little hosiery bands I have.
    They cause no damage and hold really well.

A nice loose (but secure) braid keeps everything protected and out of the way. Can look really pretty too!

Makes nice waves when you take it down.

Is it normal to have finer and shorter blonde hair on your forehead, near your hairline?

I don't make my hair in tight ponytails, I make it lose because it gives me a headache if it's too tight.

When I was in high school there were girls who wore tight ponytails and fixed their hair in those little 'box' shaped things in the front of their heads. Anway I've seen some of those girls with bald spots in the front of their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    Is it normal to have finer and shorter blonde hair on your forehead, near your hairline?
    Yes, my hair is coarse and nearly black, but most of the little baby hairs around my hairline are blondish and very fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information